Sunday, November 18, 2012

Lemon Heaven
I have some great blogs to post, explaining where I've been the last couple of months, but I had to put this cake on right away. I know there is a Twinkie crisis right now, but years ago we lost one of our favorite desserts. My husband was craving Entenmann's Lemon Crunch cake the other day which we have not been able to find at our local stores for a few years. I searched the internet for a recipe but had no luck. This is a combination of three different recipes that isn't exactly Entenmann's cake, but a cake that my husband and dad absolutely flipped over. The cake is very moist and reminded my dad of an elusive cheesecake that I have been trying to find for him for years. 



Lemon Cake Crunch Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (one stick) salted butter, softened
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I just used sour cream thinned with milk)
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut
flour and margarine to grease pan

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease and flour a bundt pan. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and coat entire pan. I left the remaining sugar at the bottom. I also added about a 1/4 of shredded coconut to the bottom of the pan. The sugar and coconut give the cake it's crunch.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
In the bowl of your mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat until well-blended on medium speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat in the lemon zest and juice.

Pour batter into prepared pan or pans. You want to get it poured into your pan(s) as quickly as possible because this batter starts reacting -quickly- and you don't want to lose too much air.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning onto the serving plate. Once the cake has cooled slightly top with the lemon glaze recipe that follows.
 

Lemon Glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the melted butter and 1 tablespoon water. Poke holes in the top of the cake and put on a coat of glaze. Wait until the glaze harden slightly and repeat with the rest of the glaze.
If you notice, there is only 2/3 of a cake in the photo. My family was into the cake before I could take a picture! They really love this cake, hope yours family does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment